- March 4 – Lockdown Drill 10am & 2pm
- March 5 – Semester 5 Ends
- March 8 – Semester 6 Starts
- March 8 – Student Gr. 10-12 Learning Surveys Start
- March 8 – International Women’s Day
- March 9 – PAC Mtg. 7pm – MS Teams
- March 10 – Gr. 9 Immunizations
- March 12 – Report Cards Published
- March 12 – Sooke Teachers Association Scholarship – Due
- March 15-26 – Spring Break
Pink Shirt Day
In 2007 in Nova Scotia, Grade 12 students David Shepherd, Travis Price and a few friends saw that a Grade 9 student was being bullied for wearing a pink shirt on the first day of school.
They knew they had to do something to show that this kind of behavior was not OK.
They decided to go out and buy a bunch of pink shirts and hand them out to other students to wear.
By the end of that week, most of the students in the school were wearing pink shirts to show support for the Grade 9 student who was bullied.
“You Will be Found” was created by our Belmont Concert Choir to promote Pink Shirt Day. Check it out!
Mon 12th – Fri 16th April 2021: http://belmont.web.sd62.bc.ca/students/graduation-assessments/
12 noon, Tuesday 10th March 2021
- See our website for details regarding how to register, linked above
The following students will be registered:
- All students in Semester 5 and Semester 6, English 10 and Math 10 classes.
- Grade 11 or 12 students who require the Numeracy 10 to complete their graduation requirements however, these students need to contact Mrs. Gunn at email@example.com by noon, Tuesday 9th March 2021 to be registered for the April assessment session.
Grad Song & “O’Canada” Auditions
Anyone who is considering auditioning for the Grad song, please contact Ms. Dawson no later than March 12.
“O Canada” auditions will take place on May 19 – please contact Ms. Dawson at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than March 12.
Gr. 9 Immunizations
Grade 9 Immunizations will be resuming at the school. If you did not complete a consent form for immunization in the fall or have question’s regarding immunizations for your child please call West Shore Health Unit and ask to speak to a school nurse. You can complete telephone consent with a nurse at this time as well. 250-519-3490.
Although a child may be immunized with the consent of a parent/guardian or representative, a grade 9 student can make an informed decision regarding immunization regardless of parental consent or refusal. This is referred to as “mature minor consent.”
For more information:
- Refer to HealthLinkBC file # 119 “The Infants Act, Mature Minor Consent and Immunization” available at: https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthlinkbc-files/infants-act-mature-minor-consent-and-immunization.
- A short video presentation on mature minor has been created for grade 9 students. It is available at: https://vimeo.com/231149258 or by going to www.islandhealth.ca/immunization-info à Immunizations à Additional resources à View our video on grade nine immunization and mature minor consent.
- Contact the local Health Unit at 250-519-3490 to discuss further.
Optional: Immunizations will be provided at the school for grade 9 students on Wednesday, March 10th.
Scholarship Info Night Presentation
Scholarship info night presentation! Important info on how to access applications and upcoming deadlines below:
Belmont in the News:
West Shore students put best foot forward for creative writing class. Belmont assignment explores empathy through a stranger’s shoes. Check out the attached article below from the Goldstream Gazette.
The video below is to a project by our students in the Visual Media Design classes 10-12, and in collaboration with our Belmont Concert Choir classes that was inspired by Black History Month. Enjoy!
Ms. Guy’s Senior Visual Art classes have been learning about Coast Salish culture, and were visited by Knowledge Keeper and role model Jeff Welch earlier this week. The Belmont Music Department built Elk hide drums, which the Art classes had the opportunity to paint as a legacy piece to be used by students for the next 20-30 years! The school community is invited to enjoy a ‘gallery walk’ in the Learning Commons on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Due to COVID-19, Gallery walks have been divided by the following zones/days:
TUESDAY- FIRST FLOOR
WEDNESDAY- SECOND FLOOR
FRIDAY- THIRD FLOOR
Thanks for your support!
Please see link below to an article in the Times Colonist of 5 players from the Belmont Bulldogs who have been recruited to various teams post graduation. Congrats to Riley S., Hayden T., Sterling M., Riley B., and Gerren H!
The EMCSS is offering a pretty are some opportunity for kids this spring break. This program is being heavily subsidized (I think kids will only pay approx. .1/3 of the cost). We have about 7 registered, but have 12 places. Could you please share – either with your schools at large, or with students who would benefit?